5 Springtime Maintenance Tips from Our Local Plumber in Levittown, PA
Winter’s finally over, and that means it’s time for this year’s five spring maintenance tips from your local plumber in Levittown, PA!
Tips from Your Local Plumber in Levittown, PA
Now, before we get started, it’s important to note that these are pretty straightforward tips that should be easy to follow. However, if you do follow them, then you can be sure your plumbing system will be in better working order!
- Tip #1: Insulate your pipes. With the temperatures staying nicely above freezing, frozen pipes probably aren’t the first things on your mind right now. However, without insulation, the first cold night we have next winter might bring you an unpleasant surprise. Take a weekend to remove old and worn insulation and reapply new insulation wherever the pipes are exposed.
- Tip #2: Flush out your water heater. Over time, debris and sediment builds up in the storage tank of your water heater. Spring is a great time to take a couple of hours to flush out the tank. Follow the instructions in the user manual to the letter.
- Tip #3: Clean the drains. Even if all of your drains are working well, it’s still a good idea to do a full cleaning a few times a year. For the best results, use a commercial drain cleaning solution. Make sure to wear protective clothing, and follow the instructions.
- Tip #4: Reapply caulking. Over time, the caulking around plumbing fixtures can crack and crumble. You need to reapply it in order to avoid leaks. To do this, carefully scrape away the old caulking, then wipe the surface down. Finally, apply a new layer.
- Tip #5: Clean your garbage disposal. Your garbage disposal is hugely important when it comes to keeping your home environmentally friendly. When you grind up food waste and flush it down the drain, it doesn’t end up in landfills. Keep your garbage disposal clean by pouring a handful of ice cubes down the sink, then running the appliance until they’re all gone. Then pour some dishwasher detergent in the drain and run the water to flush it through.
Call McHales, Your Local Plumber in Levittown, PA
If you notice any plumbing issues you can’t fix yourself, call McHales! Our team is prompt and professional, and we’re dedicated to keeping your plumbing system in good shape!