How Can You Maintain a Garbage Disposal in Horsham, PA?
Do you want to extend the life of your home’s plumbing system? Then you absolutely need to know how to maintain the garbage disposal in your Horsham, PA home!
Why It’s Important to Maintain Your Garbage Disposal in Horsham, PA
Even if you’re an enthusiastic amateur chef, when you’re in your kitchen, you’re probably not thinking about your garbage disposal a lot of the time. However, you really should be, and there are two reasons for this.
First, using your garbage disposal is good for the environment. Every time you throw away organic waste and it ends up in a landfill, it results in toxic gases being released into the atmosphere. If you instead use your garbage disposal to grind up organic waste and flush it down the drain, it ends up in the local water treatment facility where the toxins are removed, the organic waste is turned into fertilizer, and clean water is sluiced back into the environment.
Second, by using your garbage disposal to grind up large bits of organic waste, it reduces the chances of clogs forming in your drain. And as you probably know, clogs can result in damage to the pipes and the rest of your property.
Tips for Maintaining Your Garbage Disposal in Horsham, PA
Clearly, there’s a lot to be said for keeping your garbage disposal in good shape. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Only throw organic waste in the garbage disposal.
- Don’t use it to dispose of metal, glass, plastic, or stringy materials.
- Never dispose of cooking fat or oil this way.
- After grinding up the waste, switch the appliance off and let the water run through the drain for another minute.
- You can grind up ice cubes every once in a while to scrub the garbage disposal thoroughly.
- At the end of each day, pour some dish detergent in the disposal and flush it through.
- Use a special garbage disposal cleaner once a week to remove dirt and prevent odors.
If you still have any questions about your garbage disposal or need repairs, call McHales! We’re here for all your plumbing needs.