3 Tips for Drain Cleaning in Levittown
- drain cleaning
When you own your own home, maintenance is super important, which is why we advise regular drain cleaning in Levittown. By keeping your drains clean, you can avoid clogs and costly damage to your plumbing system.
As a top-rated plumber with more than 65 years of experience, we often see plumbing problems that arise from a lack of knowledge about how to maintain household drains. However, if you know how to properly clean your drains, you can avoid unpleasant and unhygienic blocked drains, as well as damaged pipes.
What follows are our top 3 tips for drain cleaning:
- Clean your drains on a regular basis. Every day, pour some dish soap into the kitchen sink and some regular hand soap into other basins such as bathroom sinks, showers and baths. Then once a week, do a more in-depth cleaning by pouring a cup of baking soda followed by two kettles of hot water down the drains. This should remove any sediment or small clogs. Then flush out the drain with cold water.
- Use a commercial drain cleaning solution for clogged drains. Purchase a commercial drain cleaning solution, and carefully follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for safe use. Remember to run the cold water for a couple of minutes to flush out the drain.
- Keep a plunger handy. For more resistant clogs, place a plunger over the drain and pump it up and down a couple of times. The suction will start to break up the clog. Repeat as many times as necessary until the clog is completely gone.
At the same time, observe the following best practices to avoid clogged drains:
- Never wash oil or grease down the sink, as it can congeal and create a blockage. Instead, dispose of it in a container, or wait until it hardens and throw it in the trash.
- Use your garbage disposal to break up large items.
- Never throw sanitary items in the toilet, as they can cause blockages.
Remember: if you have a blocked drain that’s resistant to household remedies, call McHales, your trusted neighborhood plumber!